Friday, December 11, 2009

Mast Cells and hypersensitivity a connection

Another article that seems to confirm my suspicions that my hypersensitivity reactions to foods, drugs especially antibiotics and insect stings are all caused by defective mast cells. In addition my son's autoimmune disease severity could also be as a result of mast cell malfunction. I mentioned that to a rheumatologist who was treating Paul three years ago. She called it nonsense. Of course she also was the rheumy who did not know the names of all six biologicals approved at that time.

Notice in the article below that our old friend, IL-10 is mentioned. What ever happened to the genetically engineered gut microbs that produce high levels of IL-10? There was a guy in England that created them several years ago. He thought they could help in asthma and allergy. He was going to give them to patients. There was a small problem with them being GMOs but I thought he could have gotten past that problem. Sadly I have not heard anything since the initial article.

Read more here:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B7GGW-4K1295R-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1132327709&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=4d7bacc1b069893c56b5ac192b77af86
and here:
http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1517/14712598.4.4.439

Last night I took a few grains of crushed up Xanax which was enough to calm me and allow sleep. I was able to get nine hours, best night in a week.

I woke up in the middle of the night with breathing difficulties, centering on my lower right lung. It would not clear with my usual steaming and asthma breathing exercises. I woke up my wife and she brought me tea which helped. This morning I am feeling pain inside that lung in the same place as the congestion last night. Hope it is not the bacteria in my lungs now. I think it might be from hunching over the computer and typing. I am not in my usual computer typing place as I am restricted to master bedroom and bath to protect our son Paul from catching what I have.

Have not gone to ER. I hate the place. Sick people are one thing but the disrespect the medical community shows to those of us with hypersensitivity reactions is really insulting. Infection control procedures seemed good at the ER unlike the EMT's office where they seemed to be practicing in a 19th century pre microbe theory of disease mode.

I have found a code under Zyvox restrictions that would allow me to get it due to failure of first line antibiotics. The last time I had it I had a syncope episode after sixth pill, may not have been related to the medication but I stopped anyway as the infection had ended. If I have another episode this time I figure it is better to faint away than to have my skin itch so bad I could hardly keep from tearing off. What torture hypersensitivity reactions are. Too bad our doctor friends do not seem to be able to emphasize with people who get these kinds of reactions.

Am waiting to feel worse before I go to hospital ER. The ER folks like you to be really well advanced with an infection before they take you seriously.

Here is the article about mast cells with its link:

http://journals.lww.com/waojournal/Abstract/2009/10000/Mast_Cell_Regulation_of_the_Immune_Response.2.aspx


World Allergy Organization Journal:
October 2009 - Volume 2 - Issue 10 - pp 224-232
doi: 10.1097/WOX.0b013e3181c2a95e
Review Article

Mast Cell Regulation of the Immune Response
Ryan, John J. MD; Morales, Johanna K. MD; Falanga, Yves T. MD; Fernando, Josephine F. A. MD; Macey, Matthew R.

Abstract

Mast cells are well known as principle effector cells of type I hypersensitivity responses. Beyond this role in allergic disease, these cells are now appreciated as playing an important role in many inflammatory conditions.

This review summarizes the support for mast cell involvement in resisting bacterial infection, exacerbating autoimmunity and atherosclerosis, and promoting cancer progression.

A commonality in these conditions is the ability of mast cells to elicit migration of many cell types, often through the production of inflammatory cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor.

However, recent data also demonstrates that mast cells can suppress the immune response through interleukin-10 production.

The data encourage those working in this field to expand their view of how mast cells contribute to immune homeostasis.

No comments: